Student Veterans

Davis & Elkins College is grateful to veterans for their service to our country and is committed to providing services and personal assistance to ensure student veterans receive everything they need to obtain a college education.

From a specialized veteran ID card to the beautifully restored Veterans Lounge in historic Halliehurst, military veterans represent an important and diverse demographic of the Davis & Elkins College student body.

Veterans Benefits

Below are brief descriptions of benefits available to veterans. For more detailed information, please visit

Post 9/11 GI Bill

Provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Montgomery GI Bill/Chapter 30

(Active duty or non active duty) must have served in the United States Armed Forces for period of two to four years and have been honorably discharged prior to returning to school.

Montgomery GI Bill/Chapter 1606

(Selected reserve) must have completed Basic Training and AIT and are now assigned to a Reserve and/or West Virginia National Guard Unit. Please submit copy of DD214 and NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility). The NOBE is available from your assigned unit.

Montgomery GI Bill Chapter 1607

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) called or ordered to active duty in response to war or national emergency(Contingency Operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This new program makes certain reservists, who are activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001, either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

VA Vocational Rehabilitation/Chapter 31

(Disabled Veterans) must make application with case worker and have disability rated. Veterans Certifying Official will receive Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Re-Entrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status.

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program/Chapter 35

(For dependents and spouses of 100% disabled or deceased Veterans) must complete Form 22-5490 and submit to Department of Veterans Affairs. Once a claim is established a Certificate of Eligibility will be issued to the dependent/spouse. The student should then make an appointment to see the Veterans Certifying Official.

Vocational and Educational Counseling/Chapter 36

Educational and career counseling to choose an appropriate civilian occupation and develop a training program and academic and adjustment counseling to resolve barriers that impede success in training or employment.

Work-Study Program

All students eligible for Chapter 30, 31, 35 and 1606 benefits are eligible to apply for VA Work Study. Required forms can be found at

How to Apply

The following links will help you find the resources you need to apply for your benefits.

Department of Veterans Affairs - Outlines benefits and eligibility requirements.

VONAPP Online Application - Online application for VA benefits.

D&E Veterans Upward Bound - Assists D&E Veterans.


Debbie Larkin

Debbie Larkin
Enrollment Coordinator
Veterans Liaison Officer
VA School Certifying Official
Halliehurst, 2nd Floor
Office: 304-637-1983
Email: larkind